 Technic / 5887
Re: which year?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 22:55:25 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ronan Webb writes:
Which year is the most popular amongst technic fans? why ?

That's a tough call for me.  There was a "break", so to speak, when Technic
sets went to market in Europe before North America(USA), well, most of the
time.  I'd have to go by decade starting with the 80's.

IMHO, 1981 was an excellent year in the US for Technic (then Expert Builder
in the US), 8860 Auto Chassis, 8859 Harvester, 8848 Power Truck, etc. were
just some of my favorites that became available that year.  You could get
shock absorbers, diff. housings, the 20x30 wheel size, etc.  I didn't have
much access to sets in Europe until the later half of that decade but I'd
rate 1989 as a great year there.  Sets like the 8865 Test Car, 8862 Backhoe,
8855 Proplane, 8854 Power Crane and many others came out then or were.

The 90's are a bit tough, era of the 8480 Space Shuttle, 8868 Air Tech Claw,
and a host of others.  I would vote for 1994, the year of the 8880 Supercar.

I just believe a single most popular year isn't enough.  BTW, didn't this
stuff pass when the calendar read A.D. 2001?

Adrian Egli