 Technic / 584
Re: Pneumatics problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 21:03:00 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
I have a 8462 tow truck and the pneumatic system functions fine.

I wanted to build pneumatics into a MOC and had some various old pieces of
pneumatics lying around that I had picked up in sales. I had never used them
before. I did not want to take the 8462 to bits.

However, they dont seem to work. The problem seems to be that the pump pumps
with the down stroke and then sucks with the up stroke, so I dont get any
action on the cylinder I am trying to control, except a little bit of up/down
motion.

I also noticed that the old switch/valves I have seem to release air
momentarily around the switch when moved from neutral to either side.

I tried various pumping mechanisms (using the powered compresser models on the
web) with a large pump with spring, without spring, long stroke, short stroke,
even tried using one of the cylinders as a pump, but to no avail.

Am I missing something fundamental here, or is this just a sign of old tired
seals  in the pneumatics?

regards
lawrence

Have you tried putting it in the bath and watching for air bubbles ?
Regards
Tim