 Technic / 5821
Re: Suggestions for AC-powered motor?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:24:49 GMT

Heather,

When you get home from work, search around your house for any old AC to DC
wall plug adaptors. Find one that has an output of 9V or less (assuming
you'll be using a 9V motor). Or make a trip to Radio Shack and buy one
(maybe $10, or less)

Cut the end of the adaptor off and splice on a Lego electric connector (so
you can plug it into the motor). You'll have to sacrifice a Lego electric
motor connector to do this. Or you can try to pry apart the 2x2 black end
and re-wire it to the adaptor.

My feeling is that Lego motors aren't built for long-term use. Therefore, I
think the lower the voltage, the better. Adaptors that have a 3v or 4v
output are fairly common.

The motor will not have much power and will probably spin slowly, but that's
probably all that you'll need for your application. I guess you'll attach
some 2xn plates and make a small windmill. It doesn't take much power to
drive that.

Hope this helps. If anyone else has a better idea, please post it!

TJ

In lugnet.technic, Heather Patey writes:
Hi Technic folks.  I need some help with a practical application to which I'm
trying to apply a Lego solution.  The lights in my new office are
motion-activated - no way to turn them on all the time - and the detector is
behind my monitor!  So I thought I'd build me a waving-machine, windmill or the
like, to keep the lights on.  However, all the power sources I know of take
batteries, except the Control Centre, which I think is overkill and I wouldn't
want to tie mine up permanently.  How can I get an ordinary motor to run on AC
power?  Thanks for any advice!

Cheers, Heather
--
Heather Patey