 Technic / 576
Re: Three arm piece for makeing tri-star
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 18:52:47 GMT

"Mark Tarrabain" <markt@lynx.bc.ca> wrote in message
Todd Lehman wrote:
It's interesting to note that there are now two versions of this • element --
one being the old kind with the micro-toothing, and one being a new kind
without any micro-toothing.

Okay... possibly a dumb question - what exactly is meant by
"micro-toothing"?

From the early 80s until last year many Technic elements were available with
microtoothing.  Examples are the half-bushing and toggle joint (both are
shown on http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/r_connector.html).
With two toggle joints you can build any of the modern angle connectors
(also shown on that page).

The toothed pieces are versitile, but not as strong as the one piece angle
connectors or newer half-bushings, so they are going away.  I don't think
that any of the current sets use them.

I like having both types of connectors available myself, and I'm glad that I
have a wide collection of the old toothed pieces.

alex