 Technic / 4585
Re: Silver Champion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 03:37:14 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gaurav Thakur writes:

I'll be putting up a website with lengthy reviews of some sets (the ones I
have) in a while...I guess I'll give a bit more information there...

Great! I'll love to see it.
When I just came out of my dark ages and had no clue on the various sets that
came out when I was away from LEGO I found this sight:
http://www.westwood.u-net.com/lego/reviews.htm

And it really helped me with my LEGO Technic education and served as a good
buying reference (what to buy and what are the more interesting sets to get
from eBay).
It's really useful to get an opinion from one man about various sets - that
way you can get an idea about how close your tastes are and perform some kind
of "normalization" of his marks and opinions about the different sets.

If I had the time I'd create a sight too, but I don't, and further more it's
also hard to sit down and once and for all decide _exactly_ what is your
opinion about a set, especially if you want to grade it against other sets.
(for example I'm still not sure if I like the fact that the
Destroyer droid uses no gears at all and if it's better or worse
than <set:8428>)

On the cons side, it is certainly more a mix of Model Team & Technic than a
pure Technic set, it has very few functions (more or less like <set:8428> or
<set:8445> with 3 times less parts) and even the suspension which is the
hardest bit is done using special elements that make the building somewhat
easier.

Yeah I noticed that too...they might have been able to achive the same
effect with covered flex cables for the suspension system, although it would
probably be a bit less effective...

Well, I think their main purpose is to push the springs when the wheel is
pushed upwards, so a flex cable will certainly not replace them efficiently -
the flex cables are designed to pull, not push. Considering the strength
of the new springs (which is even enlarged in the model's rear suspension
using a lever that is longer at the spring's end than at the wheel's end) even
with those new pieces I was surprised that they performed so well - I thought
at the beginning that they'll bend much more than they actually did.

A few question though:
I had some trouble inserting the engine block into it's place behind the • seat
assembly. After some tinkering, checking & rechecking of the instructions I
concluded that the entire seat assembly should have been placed a stud • closer
to the car's front (it also improves other aspects of the car's assembly and
looks).
Did anybody else reach that conclusion? Did anybody encounter any trouble • with
the placement of the engine block (or is it just an error on my side)?

That's interesting...I also did think that the seat was a bit too close to
the engine. It would probably look a bit better if the engine was placed
slightly further back, or the seat forward...

I really only had trouble getting the engine to stay in place after it was
put into the correct position, since its only held to the main chassis by a
few stud attachments. Kinda strange considering that the rest of the model
is built so well...

Yes it is a little strange that the engine had no bracing what so ever.
Even so, when I transferred the seat a stud further the engine connection was
strong enough to lift the entire car holding just the engine block.

Also, the entire roof of the car that is loaded on the pneumatic springs • seems
to be blocked from descending to it's final position. It seems to rest about
1cm above the place it should rest at. Again, did anyone have the same • problem
or is it just me?

I was also having trouble with getting the "trunk" to go completely down...I
think the problem lies in the fact that when the pneumatic shock absorbers
are fully retracted; they actually stick out slightly below the car, so my
guess is that they hit the floor before the thing closes completely. This
actually gets a bit annoying, since I've had the lid suddenly open up when
the car is pushed down slightly (to test the suspension)...

I don't think that's the reason. The "trunk" assembly hits the two
<part:32136> at the sides of the seat when it's lowered and makes the correct
low position impossible. Just to try this theory I removed them from the seat
and the trunk went down just fine. (It's not a solution because those two
elements are what holds the seat and some decoration pieces in place)

Overall not a bad set, but I think for the high price it leaves much to be
desired...

-Gaurav Thakur, raving madman
Can be reached at cp5670@supermail.com
- David