 Technic / 4521
RE: how do I use this technic 9v motor I bought?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 02:22:52 GMT

Jonathan Wilson writes:
I just picked up one of the old style 9v technic motors and I am
having a problem.  it works just fine when I just run it so the
motor is ok. If I make it into a vechicle however, it works when
I hold it in the air but not when I put it on the bench, carpet,

The problem is that you haven't found a good balance of speed and torque.
To make overcoming this problem easier, and to make the motors more
efficient, the new motors contain some gears inside to slow down the output
speed and increase the torque.  For the old motors, you basically need to
build that gear train yourself.
  To slow down the output speed, and thus increase the torque, you need to
attach a small gear to the motor shaft and have it drive a larger gear.  If
you drive a 24 tooth gear with an 8 tooth gear, the speed will slow down 3
times.  If you used a 40 tooth gear, you would slow it down 5 times.  You
can use a bunch of gears in succession to multiply the effect.  Here's a
1:135 geartrain, for example:
(that turned out to be too slow for the robot, btw, so we reduced it to
1:45)
  Just play with gears and the motor for a while, and you'll get the hang of
it.  You may also want to look at older Technic sets (or the space shuttle)
which used the old-school 9V motor for power.
HTH,
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu