 Technic / 4475
Re: Superfluous Holes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 13:35:43 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steve Lane writes:
I'm starting a grunge/metal band called the 'Superfluous Holes'. All our
song's are going to be about Lego or Lego building. Only joking! What I
really wanted to say was why do we need six superfluous holes on every
Technic wheel ever produced. Why can't we have some with 1 central hole and
a proper imatation of a wheel hub/trim. Lego have recently given us tyre's
with proper tread pattern's so how about proper hubs/wheeltrims. If you
think about it, it's the only part of say a truck model we have no control
of. That and Windscreens and wheel arches.... and now I come to think of it,
wipers.

All we can do at the moment is add the odd round part to alter the
appearance. It's not like we ever use the six holes unless we combine two
tyre's together when we put four wheels on a driven axle. We could easily
find a workaround for this especially if the holes we're still included on
the back but didn't go all the way through.

Perhap's we should gather wider support and then bombard the Dear lego
newsgroup?

Steve

The holes can be used to attached a pulley to the wheel to motorize it, ie.
if you're going with a rubber band drive as opposed to a direct gear drive.

I imagine a train person could also use the hole to do a piston kind of
thing, too.

George