 Technic / 4281
Re: 5223 Wind Up Motor notes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 22:19:00 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Amnon Silverstein writes:
I just got my new 5223 Wind Up Motor
It is very interesting and complicated. It has some set of internal
clutches. It is normally in a neutral gear, free-wheeling mode. If you have
it rightside up and tap it, a winding clutch engages. It takes about 12
turns to wind it up to full, at which point an overwind clutch lets go and
further winding just results in clicking. Then, when you let it go, it
switches to an overdrive, and it unwinds for about 80 turns in a much taller
gearing then when it was wound. At the end of the unwinding, it switches
back to neutral and it can spin freely. It must have interesting innards,
but I only have one so I don't want to hurt it. It could be a cool power
supply for a Lego clock.
-Amnon

I just got one, too, and had the very same thought. I've been working on my
clock for a few days now. I'm want to use a balance wheel instead of a
pendulum. I have a balance spring configured using a Lego rubber band and am
using one of the large six-spoke wheels (with tire) for the balance wheel.
Right now I'm trying to fabricate an escapement that will work with the
short period of the balance wheel.

Using the wind-up motor and a balance wheel, I hope to end up with as
compact a clock as possible.