 Technic / 3780
Re: Force, strenght, did anyone ever measure?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 02:51:40 GMT

    If you can, use a worm to drive the rack; you'll be better off.  It'll
take more load and if some of the other stages in your gear train break or
slip (You'll want to have a belt stage in there somewhere so you won't break
things anyway), the rack won't fall.
    If you can't use a worm, then try the next bigger gear size (16 tooth ?)
The 8 tooth gears are *VERY* weak because, in gear terminology, the flanks
of the teeth are undercut.  This happens when a relatively large pitch is
used on a small pinion.  They won't take shock loads or fully reversing
fatigue loads for very long.  Ideally TLC could have used a finer pitch for
the smaller gears, but that would have made them less interchangeable : (
    That being said, I've abused those pinions in the past (No idea what the
actual tooth loads were though) and I've only broken a few of them in 20+
years of building crazy things out of technics pieces.  I have tons of them
so I've never been afraid to break them when experimenting either...
                                                                HTH,
                                                                Xanthra47
"Duq" <Duq@nlgateway.net> wrote in message news:G7A5B2.7oq@lugnet.com...
Hi all,

I'm running into trouble with my mobile crane project. The boom is pretty
heavy. I want to raise it with a rack/pinion, but I wonder how much force
they can take? I reckon that for the first bit up the horizontal force • will
be around 50N. Does anyone ever measure how much a well braced double
rack/pinion (8t gears) can take?

Duq