 Technic / 3595
3594  |  3596
Subject:
Technic C-3P0: My First Impression
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 02:18:49 GMT

Yesterday I saw boxes of 8008, the Technic Stormtrooper, at the nearby TRU.
I bought one, and when I opened the box, surpringly I found not a
Stormtrooper, but a 8007 C-3P0 inside. No matter. I like C-3P0, too.

After I built it, sadly I must say the Technic C-3P0 is a disappointment.

The whole lower body is not movable at all. From the picture, you can see
the ankles, the knees, the hips, and the waist. Well, none of them are movable.

Stickers are used extensively. There are 25 stickers on the sheet. They are
used not only for decoration, but also to change the colors of some pieces.
(This reminds me of the Royal Train. :-)

Although you do get a bunch of decoration pieces in the golden color (most
notably the golden plates), many of the golden pieces you see from the
picture are actually black pieces with stickers. Some stickers span across
two pieces.

The upper body, on the other hand, is quite interesting. The head is nicely
sculptured from the modern Technic pieces. There are ball joints at the
neck, the shoulders, and the wrists. There are also swinging joints at the
elbows and the three fingers at each hands.

When you touch its bellybutton, it explodes: Its head and both arms are
ejected from the body. (Well, you are supposed to shoot at the bellybutton
of C-3P0 from a 8008 Stormtrooper.) However, it is quite easy to trigger off
the ejection by accident, in particular when I am trying to move its arms at
the shoulders. (Tip: Always hold its head when you move its arms.)

To me, Technic is still all about mechanisms, and the ejection mechanism is
the only interesting mechanism in this set.

There is one interesting new part: the "ball" for the Throw-bot ball joint.
It is a black ball, with a hole to let you insert a Technic axle into it.
You get five of it in this set.

As with other Technic (non-Mindstorms) Starwars sets, there are few pieces
with the traditional studs.

When I bought it at the full price of $39.xx, I expected it to be of the
same quality as 8001 Battle Droid. I am disappointed, and I am not going to
rush out and buy the Stormtrooper set, until I hear some good comments from
you guys.

Cheers,
Hao-yang Wang