 Technic / 3589
Re: Neat string spooler?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 23:14:08 GMT

Jerry,

Jerry Kalpin <jdkalpin@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:G6ntIx.CrE@lugnet.com...
Ross, I am currently building a Spooler, similar to industrial converting
machines used for spooling photographic films and papers.  Of course, LEGO
is small, so for a stock-roll I am using a spool of thread and for
customer-rolls I am using sewing-machine bobbins.  I have windup and • unwind
motors with speed control (RIS) and tension control using a weighted
festoon.

Sounds pretty amazing!

The system I use for having the thread wind evenly across the bobbin is a
worm-gear which guides back and forth.  You do that by reversing the • driving
motor.  The thread is moved by the screwing action of the worm-gear.  Now,
bobbins are not very wide, but you can put several worm-gears on the same
shaft if you want a wider roll.

Thanks! This may be exactly what I need. I never thought of using the worm
gear directly as a guide!

Regards,

ROSCO