 Technic / 3588
Re: Neat string spooler?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 22:37:45 GMT

Ross, I am currently building a Spooler, similar to industrial converting
machines used for spooling photographic films and papers.  Of course, LEGO
is small, so for a stock-roll I am using a spool of thread and for
customer-rolls I am using sewing-machine bobbins.  I have windup and unwind
motors with speed control (RIS) and tension control using a weighted festoon.

The system I use for having the thread wind evenly across the bobbin is a
worm-gear which guides back and forth.  You do that by reversing the driving
motor.  The thread is moved by the screwing action of the worm-gear.  Now,
bobbins are not very wide, but you can put several worm-gears on the same
shaft if you want a wider roll.

I hope this helps,

Jerry

In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford writes:
Hi, all.

Has anyone out there managed to design a mechanism which spools string nicely
on a spool? ie: neatly across one way, then back the other way. I've tried a
couple of techniques, but they're either not entirely successful, or way too
bulky.

Any ideas?

Regards,

ROSCO