 Technic / 3162
Re: Improving Mindstorms R2???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:17:49 GMT

    I'm working a few of these ideas, but basically I was annoyed at how
*SMALL* it was (the DDK) so I've started making a "life" sized R2 simmilar
to Eric Harshburger's and the one at Legoland, but this won't be a static
sculpture.  The head will turn, a QuickCAM will be in the eye. and the feet
will be motorized.  I've built low-profile tank tread crawlers that will go
under the 2 big feet.  Each one has 4 of the new technic motors in it and
can haul 35 lbs + with no problem (and yes I did actually pile weights on
them to find this out.)  I'm planning to use an RCX along with an old 486
laptop for brains.  I've been making incremental progress on the structure,
but it's not easy making round objects out of LEGO so I ended up writing a
VB program that uses a modified version of bresenham's circle rendering
algorithm to generate the round surfaces I needed.  Even still, I got real
tired of building and rebuilting parts IRL so lately I've been working in
MLCAD instead.  I've had a hard time figuring out how to make strong enough
shoulder and ankle joints though.  I'm currently thinking of using
reinforced turntables and technic friction pegs secured with #4-40
screws/nuts/washers.  I wanted to do this as close to all-LEGO as possible,
but I've decided it's better to use LEGO plus real fasteners than to simply
end up with broken LEGO : )  Check out some of my pics at
http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=1363 and LMKWYT.

PS.  One more important R2 function : emotive sound.  It has to squeel,
warble, bleep, and bloop !