 Technic / 3027
Re: Another Technic Creation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 06:52:34 GMT

Well, I've been thinking about this, and I think it's possible to do with an
arrangement like the valve gear on your everyday steam engine. This would
allow it to be changed with the wheels in any position. Implementing this,
however, is not trivial - you really need curves for the sliding part of the
linkage, though straight would be pretty close. But even compromising on
this, it's not easy...

I'll put it on my list of "things I'd like to find time for" 8?)

ROSCO

Jennifer Clark <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> wrote in message
In lugnet.technic, Mark Cogan writes:

Unfortunately, as far
as I can tell, the only way to do it its to only switch modes when the
wheels are all straight.

I came to exactly the same conclusion. I hope we are both correct!

I can, of course, see an easy algorithm for
handling automatically switching to crab mode and back, but I can't see
any way to implement it mechanically (at least, without motors and
(perhaps) an RCX).

A pure mechanical solution, which would work with 4 wheel steered • vehicles,
with each axle being steered to the same (or opposite) angle such as the • one
you describe, is to arrange the gearstick or gears so that they can only • be
shifted when the wheels are straight. This would in fact be fairly
straightforward to do, either by a simple "notch" type mechanism coming • off
the pinion on the steering, or a "notch" coming from a liftarm attached to
one of the axles driving the steering which happens to be close to the
gearbox... I'm sure there are many ways to skin this particular cat.

Jennifer Clark