 Technic / 3008
Re: Another Technic Creation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 13:46:39 GMT

Jennifer Clark wrote:

So what am I trying to get at here? I think that basically, if someone can
follow instructions, they will be able to make surprisingly complex models,
certainly way above their current technical knowledge. I had never even
heard of differentials before I got my 8860 as kid; but after I built it I
figured out what it was for. Much of the joy in making these models is being
halfway through and thinking "what on earth is this working towards?" and
being able to figure it out when the model was complete. I recently got this
with the gearbox on the 8448, which is surprisingly complex - even the
mechanical engineers at work had to check it out for a while before they
groked (sp?) it :-)

Completely agree on that. When I was first built my 8860 when I was 10
or 11, I never had seen before mechanisms like reciprocating engine,
transmission, differential, etc. Even I first assumed that the
transmission of 8860 was a hand brake, since I missalligned the gears,
and they locked each other in some position..:-) Later during same year,
I've given a book as a present, probably a Turkish translation from DK
series, about automobiles. Then I realized which stands for what, and
even I changed it's transmission from the original 2 gear to 3 gear one
after understanding its function from the pictures of the book.

You don't need to understand the mechanics to build any lego model. It
really took some time for me to understand the gear shifting mechanism
of the first Supercar and Space Shuttle, even I'm an aeronautical
engineer mimicking like a mechanical one..:-). But building them was not
a big deal for me, since I'm an experienced lego builder at least. I
forced my wife to build some simpler technic sets, and she had no
problem at all while building although she didn't played with lego ever.
I don't think any complex model could be problem to build for a child
who already familiar with lego.

Selçuk