 Technic / 3003
Re: Another Technic Creation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:50:09 GMT

My own building experiences:

First of all, as Mike points out, not all kids have a problem with complex
lego kits. Having seen quite a few people assembling Technic stuff from
instructions, I've come to the conclusion that it is nothing really to do
with the depth of mechanical understanding a person has - after all, they
don't have to understand how it works to make it. Rather, it has to do with
their ability to concentrate, keep focus and follow instructions.

That'S the first step of getting into the buisness of creatin own models.
Building by instruction gives good ideas of how the technic bricks could be
used. But that just covers just 20% (or less) of the reasonable possibilities.

Most mistakes seem to be made by people who think they are smart enough not
to count out all the bits in the "inventory" box before building each step;
inevitably they miss something out and find themselves stuffed several steps
down the line. This applies to adults and kids alike - adults can be even
worse as some of them take the Smart Alec bit to an even greater degree and
think "I don't need a 5 axle there, a 6 will do fine", with the inevitable
result - they get stuffed at a later step.

I stopped counting out of the box! That works well in 99%!! That's a result of
many years experience. These days I also "know" the length of the Technic axles
by just looking at them and take them in my hands. I don't need the scale from
the instructin any more!

<snipped>
Thirdly, remember that people approach building in different ways. Some go
for the big splurge and try to get it finished in one session; others do a
little at a time, assimilating things slowly. Some build a model and put it
on a shelf; some build it, take it apart, and build something else. Some
build it, take it apart, build it again, take it apart ad nauseum. And some
do a little bit of all of these.

Original models by LEGO were build in just one session! MOC were more
difficult. I needs a lot change and rebuilding to reach the best result.
Sometimes I never finished projects, because I had no more idea to solve the
problems of stability or design (or both)!

So what am I trying to get at here? I think that basically, if someone can
follow instructions, they will be able to make surprisingly complex models,
certainly way above their current technical knowledge. I had never even
heard of differentials before I got my 8860 as kid; but after I built it I
figured out what it was for. Much of the joy in making these models is being
halfway through and thinking "what on earth is this working towards?" and
being able to figure it out when the model was complete. I recently got this
with the gearbox on the 8448, which is surprisingly complex - even the
mechanical engineers at work had to check it out for a while before they
groked (sp?) it :-)

I recently got the 8448 car. Nice to read, that other peaple also haven't got
an idea how the 6 gears really work and where the differences are? I am
thinking about using these complex gears in other context, e.g. for a steering
of a multi axled crane or trailer??

For me, building and design the models is the most interesting part (exept
having so well working models as Jennifer builds). I specialized in
non-motorized models, because 15 years ago the Technic 4.5 V motor wasn't that
useful for my models. The new 9 V motor seems to be much better?

I also worked out mixtures between original models from LEGO and own versions.
E.g. an extra axl, a swinging and steerable front axl (like LEGO came up with
in the yellow-grey tractor years later), different colors, ...

I just discoverd some old pictures from the Pre Dark Age time - I will scan
them as soon as possible and load them up at my brickshelf gallery!

Good bricking,

Holger ...from Germany