 Technic / 16779
Re: Please help me identify this brick!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 08:30:33 GMT

In lugnet.technic, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Matthew Draper wrote:
Hi, I've got a black 3x2 block in my large mixed box of Technic, but I'm not
sure what it does!

The block has a power cable socket in the top, and a smooth axle hole through
it, as well as a smaller hole on one side.

I've looked through the various brick databases on the web, but I can't find
it - I'm guessing it's some kind of Mindstorms sensor? (But my collection
doesn't have any other Mindstorms parts as far as I can tell).

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=x1161cx1

It's a bit early for Mindstorms.  I've only got a passing familiarity with the
4.5v system, but I believe that any parts that feature that type of 3-prong
socket are designed for 4.5v power.  All Mindstorms parts use either the 2x2x2/3
electric plates, or the NXT cables that look similar to ethernet/phone cables.

Yes, it's a 4.5V part, incuded in some education sets, see
http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/1090-1

May be used as a rotation sensor with this disc:
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2958px1

Philo