 Technic / 16637
Re: Using the new PF remote for Technic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 2009 22:39:30 GMT

Thanks for the feedback!

Im not surprised the power level is not continuous, its a digital signal not analogue! iirc its 2 bytes of data, thats the mode and data for both channels in combo mode. (There is a toggle setting in one of the modes I suspect that sets continuous output) I am however surprised at the +1 increment thing using the PF protocol in combo mode would send a power level... maybe its another mode, I dont recal them all at present...

Any news on wether the charger is the same as the NXT Battery charger? isn’t that a 10V DC also? (700mA??) Im really tempted by a battery but the price is a shock!

I’m also wondering (If anyone knows!) if the IR receiver has been fixed, I believe there was a firmware error in the first batch...(will that affect this remote?)

Regards

Mike

Hi Eric,

Thanks for sharing with your findings about the new PF remote with us! I haven’t played with it yet, so was very curious to know about some implementation details and you gave full light on those.

From your description the remote implements the ‘Single Outupt Mode’ of the protocol. This mode implements two other sub-modes, depending on ‘M’ bit. So it can be PWM with absolute settings, or ‘Clear/Set/Toggle’ where remote actions would increment/decrement the PWM step sent to the motors, lights, etc... or just clears PWM if you press for instance the Stop button (the red ones). So the implemented one, should be the second I described.

It has some advantages and disadvantages as you well described. In the end, because of the implemented sub-mode, it maybe not so useful for TECHNIC constructions as you wrote. I believe it could have been much better if there was implemented some button or keystroke sequence that would allow us to select which sub-mode to use (absolute or incremental). Maybe there is something hidden. Lets see...

Has Alexandre mentioned today in a comment at TBs, I also believe that main/best usage for this remote at TECHNIC sets could be to steer treade vehicles. “differential vehicles should be more precise with this remote, since each individual track/wheel can have its variable speed, which allows for equally variable turning radii. Plus, not having to send constantly “move” commands, the controller’s batteries should last longer. ”

@Mike, To my knowledge the IR receiver is still the same, so no fix. Which however doesn’t impact at all with the mode implemented with the new remote. You cna just notice that if programatically trying to use other modes, with an NXT and IR Link sensor for instance.

The NXT battery charger, was still the 10V AC version.