 Technic / 16504
16503  |  16505
Subject:
Removing battery box current limiter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2008 10:22:56 GMT

I've tried to overcome the current limiter inside PF battery box to provide
enough juice for buggy motors (my car has two).
Follow this picture:
http://blog.tepper.cz/images/blog_tepper_cz/WindowsLiveWriter/MaximalizacevkonuLEGOmotor_12D8F/IMG_1599.jpg
and bridge the R2 resistor (as indicated by red line) with a piece of wire.
Be careful with modified BB as it will not shut down when the motor is stalled
for extended period of time endangering both the motors and battery box. Use
only quality NiMH accumulators as they can provide enought current for buggy
motors (up to 3 amperes per each), alkaline batteries are not advisable.
You can watch my video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moDbyWxjadM
First goes original BB and you can see the current drops quickly as motor gets
stalled. Modified current provides current even under prolonged stall conditions
thus making the vehicle more powerful and reliable (no "black-outs").
Older BBs have similar limiters, you don't need soldering skills as you can
easily pop them out (no printed circuits).