 Technic / 16145
16144  |  16146
Subject:
A library of movement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:44:50 GMT

Forgive me if this has been done before or if any one can point me to a good reference Technic web-site, I appreciate it. But if not, here’s the idea. Please let me know what you’ll think:

THE CHALLENGE:
-------------
Our LTC is thinking about going to the NMRA show out in California later this year; but since we’re a Florida group, we don’t want to haul around a large LEGO train layout. So the idea that we came up with is to do baseplate sized modules of various scenes from Florida in micro-scale. But our next challenge is to add movement to it, so I’ve asked our group’s Technic people to think about a library of movement that we can use in the display... But the more I think about it, other groups might benefit from something similar...

THE PARAMETERS:
--------------
We’ve been working with something that’s slightly larger than micro-scale, see:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwhuffman/sets/72157602366360066/

Our “largish” micro-scale gives us a micro-fig that’s about 2bricks+1plate, that’s just about the right size for emotion, action, expression... so that’s about the scale we’re working with.

The module itself will have a base around about 5 bricks high, were we can hide the electronics, gears, track, motors, etc. We will start building the micro-scale scene on top of this base.

A friend has lent me some earth magnets, that I’m thinking about gluing onto some track and to the bottom of a 1x1 brick -- the magnets are small in size and strong enough to attract to one another through a few plates thick.

THE REQUEST:
Rather than re-invent the wheel, I’m looking for a library of movement (for lack of a better term) -- rather than drag out my dusty books on math, vector forces, torque, etc. I’m looking for:
  • The best way to gear down a micromotor to the speed that I can run a tread in a circle/oval (within the 5 brick high enclosed box, the size of a baseplate) that I can tile over in blue, to simulate an air boat sailing around a lake. One of the challenges (that I encountered when trying to build this) was designing a floating gear for the tread to wind around to provide tension without binding the tread.

  • One idea for a busy highway, would be to have two parallel conveyor belts going in opposite directions. The cars attached to the belts, that would ride on top of the display, then at either end, emerge or exit into a tunnel. But again, I need these geared down to the speed that looks realistic to scale... unless we’re talking about I-4, then the belts don’t have to be moving. :)

  • Probably the greatest challenge might be to do a micro-train that would encircle the display -- the challenge of having the micro-train jump from module to module, or from conveyor belt to belt. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this would be great!

  • Some simpler challenges like twisting movement back and forth 90 degrees at a slower speed (without using a RCX/NXT unit) -- like a micro-crane swinging back and forth. Or the slow rotational speed of a micro-helicopter blade. Or move something from one side of the module, to the other side, back and forth between these two positions, like a micro-crawler hauling the space shuttle from the bay to the launch pad & back.
I also understand that there might be some GBC principles or techniques that might lend themselves to what I’m looking for as well...

Thanks,
--Mike.