 Technic / 16096
Re: Another Theo Jansen style LEGO Walker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 10:25:38 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gereon Stein wrote:
   Hi Steve,

Maybe I am missing part of the whole point here, but with the crankshaft allowing for single-motor drive, how would this beast move anywhere else but straight ahead?

Good point. I’ve only seen the Jansen “strandbeest” walkers go in a straight line. (Seems dangerous for a beach cerature to have no way to avoid walking into the water ;-)

In my design, the connection between the left and right halves of the crankshaft can be removed. That’s one of the reasons I built it with two motors. Driving the left and right legs separately seems to allow for usable steering, but I never got around to testing that much.