 Technic / 16084
Re: Grelnix
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2007 01:10:53 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
   In lugnet.announce, Eric Sophie wrote:

New Mecha: Grelnix

Completed X-mas Day 2007.

6 weeks to construct.

Hi Eric,

Do you have pictures of the inside of the joints? I’m curious about your gearing techniques.

Hi Kevin!

I used a combination of techniques. I don’t have many pictures of the joints per se. They are mostly hidden and covered.

Although, these are much of the same techniques I have preached for years.

I’ll describe some here now:

Shoulders - Hips

The shoulder and hip splay use a z40 and technic triangle plate (actually, that you gave me when you visited, lol) and a pair of beams from the Bionicle Bohroks.

Neck

The neck uses a series of double ended ball joints to provide articulation:

Although not a true geared set up, it is still rather nifty, because I added a half dome/golf ball under the head and the twisting motion of the ball joints, rides along the shape of the half dome. Guiding the neck articulation.

Ankles - Knees

Since this is such a large and heavy creation, I used the technique I developed whereas, the worm gear box (in this case a Robo Rider Gear Box), drives a z8 to z40. The beam is bound to the z40 via half axle pins.

The weight is transferred off the axle and on to the gear itself. Then the mechanical reduction of the z40 attempting to turn against the z8 provides additional strength and resistance.

As described and published here in the book we were part of:

LEGO Mindstorm Masterpieces: Building and Programming Advanced Robots By Miguel Agullo

Inner hips - inner shoulders - elbows and ankles

....all use ball joints in multiples.

In this tiny picture you may notice the turntable is mounted to a set of ball joints. This allows for rwd/rev motion/tilt.

In these additionally bad and hastilly taken pre completion cell phone pictures, you may notice some shocks, levers and ball joints that flow between the points of articulation. These provide additional stability and rigidity between the joints.

Along with the related technic construction, these ae the core components that led to the robot’s creation.

....plus monkey arms and 2 two inch hoses....from the Star Destroyer of course.

Eric

Kevin

p.s. I will be adding a few more pics once I can get some decent sun light here in the photography area...

:)