 Technic / 15342
15341  |  15343
Subject:
Bubba wins BrickFest!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:22:54 GMT

Good news for technic fans!  Alvin Brant won Best of Show at BrickFest Saturday
night.  His Terex Demag CC8800 was dubbed "the big crane", and won the Best
Technic award as well.  However, his big crane is the LR 11200, so one would
have to guess that the judges were somewhat confused buy so many large cranes
with numerical names.

Alvin's MOC's work based on the KISS principle- Keep It Simple Stupid.  Even
though his cranes are gigantic, there are very few things that could go wrong
since he uses simple technology.  He has winches that are geared so low that
even if the clutches slip, the boom will not fall.  It took about 1-1/2 hours
for the LR 11200 to raise, and unless one could glance away and then glance back
15 minutes later, they could not see any movement except for the turning
winches.

BTW- Alvin can't post on Lugnet for some reason, so can someone please fix his
account?

Just to testify that his pictures speak the truth- the LR 11200 really is 20'
tall!  The room was not very well lit, but everyone's eyes were still drawn to
the 4 massive cranes against the side wall of the large BrickFest room- which
had a 28'ceiling according to Alvin.

More good news for Technic fans in America- our Speed Build team beat the German
team by about 4 minutes (I think the timekeeper stated our time as 2 hours and
36 minutes).  We had a blast putting the 8285 Tow truck together, which was much
more complex than we figured. The team consisted of Diana Wong (who came with
her husband all the way from Singapore), Doug Eaton (ParLUGment), Steve Bliss,
Jeff Stabile, myself and "Ken."  Our team made friends fast and will still
continue to email each other. The tow truck has a ton of functions which all
work well except for the winch.

Jørgen officially invited Diana to meet with himself and a leader of education
in Singapore after she asked what could be done to help Asian Lego builders.
This company really interacts with their customers!

Pictures should be posted soon!

Nathan Bell