 Technic / 15317
Re: Can Dacta 9751 be used with WindowsXP or Windows 2000?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 14:18:49 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Anders Isaksson wrote:
   Gyl Midroni wrote:

I have one, and the TechnoLogica software works in Win XP (at least pre SP2, haven’t used it for a long time), but is both (a bit) bugged and seriously limited.

I did most of my programming with a system I developed myself (I called it Bricklab, but I think that name is already taken by some other product) which contains a rudimentary programming language and IDE. You can also control the interface directly manually.

You can see it (and download) at: http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/dacta/

There isn’t any documentation for my system (although the Delphi 5 sources are available), so feel free to ask here or mail me at “blockcad AT gmail DOT com” if you have any questions about it.

I’ve been working on a .NET class for it. I have the serial port communication finished and am working on threading the sensor polling.

In C# you’ll be able use my DLL something like this:

using Mindstorms.ControlLab;

//...

ControlLab controlLab = new ControlLab("COM2");

controlLab.setOutput("A", new Motor());
controlLab.setInput(1, new TouchSensor());

controlLab.Start();       // this opens the serial port and keeps the connection alive until you call Stop()

//...
The method structure will be similar to leJOS but will take advantage of C# goodies like properties. Microsoft also released a .NET class for the RCX which basically wraps GhostAPI, so it’s not useful to me except that I can copy their class structure (and probably their thread code).

To answer your question, if you can’t afford ROBOLAB and/or want to use a text-based programming language, you’re going to have to roll your own code to handle this thing. Unless I finish mine soon enough for you to use. :)