 Technic / 15005
Re: Automated Castle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2005 18:25:32 GMT

Would you care to share construction details with some of the designs - they
look simple but I think there's some good ideas behind them.
Cheers ...
Geoffrey Hyde

Greetings Geoffrey,

I have posted pictures of the various mechanisms:

The following is a verbal discription of the mechanisms. Be warned that some
cutting, glueing and taping is used:

Marching Soldiers:
Two marching soldiers are dragged around on a chain. The soldiers are attached
to the chain using a tread link that has one side cut off. A 1x1 round brick
fits over the tread link. A 1x2 plate is attached to the round brick. The
soldier's feet are attached to the plate. The plate slides on top of the tile.
The round brick is guided through the slot in the walkway. As the soldiers turn
around in the turrets angled plates (wings) guide the round brick back into the
slot. The motor for the marching soldiers is attached directly to 9V power so
that the soldiers are continuously moving. Of all the mechanism this one took
the longest to figure out and gave me the most amount of trouble.

Portculis:
A large pully wheel pulls a rope attached to the portculis. The rope is taped to
the pully to ensure proper positioning. A limiting bar prevents the rope/gate
from being raised or lower too much. The motor operating this is controlled by
an RCX. The time between raising/lower and how long the portculis is raised is
randomized.

Pop-up ghost:
Two seperate mechanisms raise and lower a ghost in two seperate towers. The
timing of the raising/lower is such that only one ghost is up at a time to
create the affect that one ghost is moving between towers. An axle is fitted
between four small rubber tires and is guided between the holes of two technic
plates. A motor turns the tires that moves the axle. On top of the axle is a
platform that supports a ghost. The ghost pushes through a trap door. The trap
door door has an elastic that ensures that it closes when the ghost is lowered.
The motors are wired to a scout. The programming is such that which ghost would
pop-up, when a ghost would pop-up, and how long they stay up is randomized.

Fighting Soldiers:
An axle is put into the leg of the attacking soldier (the one with the spear).
The axle was cut down so that it would fit into a minifig leg. This axle is
turned by a motor that causes the soldier to rotate. A touch sensor is used to
position the attacking soldier. The defending soldier is attached to the
platform using a rubber band through its legs. When the defending soldier is hit
with the spear it is pushed back but then returns to the upright position. The
motor is controlled by an RCX. The programming is such that the time between
attacks is randomized. The soldier also has three attaking moves (also
randomized); spin clockwise, counter clockwise, or a back and forth slap.

The RCX and Scout is located inside the stable. 9V power from a train controller
is brough in via wire on the stable side of the castle. The roof of the stable
is designed to be easily removed. The castle is designed in three sections that
come apart; front half, and two back quarters. Running the wires through the
castle with connections at the seperation points was a nightmare!

Wow, it is hard to discribe in words physical mechanisms! No I won't be doing
instructinos in MLCad!

Roy