 Technic / 14931
Re: How often
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 17:39:59 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steve Lane wrote:
On average how often do Lego renew the biggest Technic set in the Technic range?

Steve

That is a hard question to answer.

It seems from what is in the catalogs and from what was said at Brickfest that
lately TLC has been offering kits for one year, and then releasing new kits for
the next year- although most of the time the sets are available for 2 years.
They have sent out so many shop at home catalogs this year that I would guess
they are really pushing the sales of the 2005 kits.  Maybe they haven't sold
yet?  From a manufacturing standpoint, it would be hard to crank out molds for
new designs and keep producing the old designs without renovating the factory
all the time.  That could get very expensive.

Everything may change with the birth of the Lego Factory theme this year.  It
may not be long before the majority of kits in the catalog are designed by fans
like us- which means we could possibly determine how long sets are available.
The designs posted on this forum are about as good as TLC's designs most of the
time and are always larger. However, our designs are not nearly as marketable as
theirs.  (Not many kids could afford the massive MOC's posted on this site;
therefore our designs would not sell very well).  TLC is also very good at
combining function with aesthetics in a way that grabs the attention of children
and teenagers.

This year and last year Lugnetters found out the new kits in advance- possibly
from info leaked out of TLC.  It seems that the kits for 2005 are very good so
they may be available longer this time.  It would be hard to top the Enzo,
crane, forklift, and motorcycle designs released in 2005.

Sorry if this reply was long-winded.  Does it answer your question?  Maybe
someone else could give a more exact and direct response.

-Nathan