 Technic / 14834
14833  |  14835
Subject:
Large Crawler/Track-Layer And New Shovel Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 00:33:39 GMT

Hello!

All you crane and excavator builders out there should like this one - At the link below are pictures of a huge crawler I’ve been working on:

Like most of my recent projects it does not use Lego brand motors for power, I’m using a motor from radio shack, you can check it out here:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102827&cp=&kw=motor&kwCatId=2032058&parentPage=search

Try these motors out if you are looking for something different than lego motors, or need more power. I’ve been really happy with them so far and they are not that hard to combine with standard Lego transmission parts. The brickshelf gallery above has some pictures that detail how the motor is interfaced with legos, but I hope to post a gallery with detailed instructions on how to integrate the radio shack motors soon.

Back to the crawler - it is a component for the shovel in the gallery linked here:

I am slowly buying the parts for this machine and hope to finish it up soon. My goal is to build a working lego cable excavator that not only can move its bucket & dig but ALSO move forward, reverse, steer. My last shovel never really had a solid locomotion system; forward and reverse were not too hard but getting something so heavy to steer/turn is quite difficult & it broke often. I’m hoping this new crawler design can get the job done.

Another goal for this project is to achieve the same level of detail and realism that some of you other master crane and excavator builders have reached.

Post your feedback or questions! I will try to get more video footage as well.

Thanks, Ben