 Technic / 14700
Re: Usage of hose 3mm diameter.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 13:28:42 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:
I'm wondering if this hose can be safely used in pneumatic switching
circuits or if it's thin inside diameter would restrict airflow somewhat.
I've got an idea where I might be tight on space around the valves, so I
wondered to myself if 3mm hose is usable in pneumatic circuits over short
distances or if there would be a better alternative?

I'd be a bit concerned if it had more tendency to pop off or break down
faster than it's bigger counterpart.

Any/all info greatly appreciated.

I tried fitting a 3mm flexible hose into a normal hose, but without success!  It
might be possible but would take longer than fitting a 3mm rigid flex tube into
a normal hose.

The 3mm hose breaks easily if it is stretched over a 3mm flex tube - I speak
from experience :-)  It has thinner walls so it stretches more, but its
elasticity is no better than normal hose.

I suggest that you use normal hose to go round corners and 3mm rigid flex tube
to do straight bits and gentle curves.  The minimum normal hose is about 1.5cm,
to give enough purchase on the valve nozzles and on the flex tubes.

Mark