 Technic / 14641
Re: Cable Operated Shovel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 17:04:50 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.technic, Benjamin Ventura wrote:

Hello!

Check out my new pics of a large cable mining shovel:

Link to gallery:

I have been experimenting with using non-lego motors to drive this thing and have had a lot of success at it. The hoist (to make the bucket go up and down), wheels (for forward locomotion and steering), and swing (spin the top part of the machine) are all powered by teams of 18 volt motors I purchased at Radio Shack. The whole system is run with a battery from a residential phone system. The radio shack motors are more powerful than lego motors, and much cheaper.

Hi Ben, great shovel! I have a couple of questions though - I can’t tell from the pics, does the bucket release door open? If so how? Also, have you found that using the high power motors puts more stress on any bricks, or causes more wear?

   It stands 25 inches tall, almost 36 inches long with the bucket all the way out. Gross vehicle weight is appx 40 lbs.

Stay tuned for video of the machine digging..

Cool, can’t wait for that!

Thanks!

Hello Ross,

About the bucket - that is the one thing I forgot to take pictures of. The bottom of the bucket does open and close. At the end of the boom that the bucket is mounted on, at the intersection of the grey and black pieces, there is a single lego-brand motor with a worm gear that opens and closes the bucket. It is inside the end of the black part. In the pictures you can see the wire that powers it running from the bucket back to the machine.

I’ve posted a video, you can see the bucket open and close here:

(link still awaiting moderation..)

So, I have ruined a couple gears and other pieces from using the non-lego motors. But once I got the hang of designing a transmission to handle the extra power, I was able to get it set up to work without breaking pieces. What was happening, is that it would turn the axles into a twizzler-looking thing, or it would crack the little 8-tooth gears. But I was able to work around it and get everything working safely.

Thanks for your feedback!