 Technic / 14640
Re: Cable Operated Shovel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:52:16 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Nathan Bell wrote:
   In lugnet.technic, Benjamin Ventura wrote:

Hello!

Check out my new pics of a large cable mining shovel:

Link to gallery:

(You might have to wait a little while for the brickshelf gallery to be moderated..)

I have been experimenting with using non-lego motors to drive this thing and have had a lot of success at it. The hoist (to make the bucket go up and down), wheels (for forward locomotion and steering), and swing (spin the top part of the machine) are all powered by teams of 18 volt motors I purchased at Radio Shack. The whole system is run with a battery from a residential phone system. The radio shack motors are more powerful than lego motors, and much cheaper.

It stands 25 inches tall, almost 36 inches long with the bucket all the way out. Gross vehicle weight is appx 40 lbs.

Stay tuned for video of the machine digging..

Let me know what you all think!

Thanks, Ben

40 LBS! Dag that is a heavy one. It definately looks real. I have never seen tracks like that, but then again TLC does not make tracks that could hold that much weight without ripping apart, unless you wanted to spend a fortune. What percentage of its weight in sand/dirt can it lift? I can understand if you don’t want to get your parts dirty, but you are obviously not a purist (Non-purists unite!) which is not a bad thing. The bucket is the best part. I like how the platform is populated with several minifigs. If I was a Lego minifig, I would want to climb up on that platform and watch too. Great job!

Nathan Bell

P.S. I’ll put sand in my MOCs if you put sand in the bucket of your MOC!

Hello Nathan, so I do want to spend a fortune on the tracks.. I just need to get my hands on one! Did you see the (incredible) “PARV”:

I would really like to build some tracks like that machine has, when I get a chance to save up some money and buy the parts.

I’m glad you like the minifig decks - My motto is “make it work good, make it look good”.

As for the lifting capacity, so far I have only used the machine to dig legos. I live in an apartment and do not have access to any sand. However the machine can bite a heaping bucket full of legos out of a pile.. the bucket is about 4 inches to a side, so thats appx 64 cubic inches, but probably not more than a pound or 1/2 pound.

I’ve just posted a video of the machine digging (again you might have to wait for it to be moderated..):

This is an older video, before installation of the radio shack motors. These days, the hoist (bucket up and down) performance is much better, it is way faster and stronger.

Thanks for your comments Nathan!