 Technic / 14465
14464  |  14466
Subject:
8421 Design flaw?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:45:04 GMT

I know many people have expressed an opinion that set 8421 Mobile Crane has a
general flaw when it comes to pneumatics (being the boom comes crashing down
when the pneumatic switch is released quickly, and the set lacks enough tubing
to create a second pneumatic loop to allow for a smooth boom descent), but has
anyone experienced issues with the tube running from the pump to the switch and
their gears?

I was using mine earlier, and the tube for the pump somehow got loose and stuck
between the gears in the superstructure, and was cut.  I'm not sure if it's a
general flaw in how the tube is run, or if I mistakenly ran my specific tube the
wrong way.

Outside of that, class set, took about 5 hours to build, only other major issues
I have with it are that the outriggers are nowhere near designed to be similar
to real life (where outriggers are meant to lift crane off ground, similar to
8431 et. all), and the manual turning of the crane turntable... would have been
nice to see this as a function run off the tail of the crane.

As far as the steering is concerned, it's rather awkward to steer it from the
rear, but it's livable.  I know 8431 et. all had the steering from the lights on
top of the cab, but I feel that with this model, that is slightly less feasible
due to the added structure of the boom being 3 parts.

Not the best or most complex set in my opinion, but still on my list of top 5
(in no specific order: 8455, 8421, 8855, 8868, 8880), and all in all, a pretty
nice set.  Might modify my personal set to have stronger/bigger outriggers, and
will have to replace my pump to switch tubing, but other than that, I don't see
much room for improvement within reason of original design.

(can see mine here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=140676  once
gallery is public... eventually I'll build the secondary model, can also see
other sets I've had time to get since summer started.. eventually once I sort
all of my 34 or so other sets out, I'll try to display them and all of their
alternate constructions... but that'll take a while)