 Technic / 14457
14456  |  14458
Subject:
MOC's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:06:33 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hey all. I have been slowly adding pictures to Brickshelf, one-by-one (anyone know a faster way?). I have three MOC’s now: the uberCrawler, a 4 wheel drive/4 wheel steering proto, and a ball collector. The uberCrawler is the larget moving robot I have ever built. It has four independently-driven tracks, and a two-motor winch that raises them to about a 45 degree angle. This lifts the body up on the tips of the tracks, allowing it to turn and climb over obstacles. When down fully, it can easily pull a 15 lb. laundry basket across carpeting, due to the traction provided by the four sets of tracks. The 4WD/4WS is a prototype that was scrapped for its parts. It uses an idea from a Brickshelf user “speedmen89” to drive its wheels. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1177752 The goal was to make a vechicle that was 4WD, and could steer front and rear pairs of wheels independently, allowing it to have a very small turn radius, and also to follow a diagonal path without turning the body. The ball collector is the most successful union of RCX and pneumatics that I have ever done. It is a simple robot, with light sensors to find the balls, touch sensors for switch postion, and a pair of gates controlled by a pair of large cylinders. It also uses one of my favorite methods of drive, tracks made out of the Technic chain link. Although it doesn’t provide much traction, it is very easy to work with and does the job just fine with a robot this heavy. My younger brother enjoys Legos too, and he decided that my ball collector needed a driver, so this is also one of the rare robots that I have built that has “standard” Legos in it. My favored style of building is minimalistic and functional. Therefore, there usually is not any kind of decoration on my robots. One note: I posted these pix to Brickshelf on 8/11/05, so they may not be public yet. There are lots of pictures there, so I cannot really give deep links.

Links: uberCrawler- http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=125491 4WD/4WS- http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=138221 Ball Collector- http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=140638

Andrew Meyer