 Technic / 13992
Re: Large Technic Tracks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:18:07 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
These tracks dont work as well with the other technic track spools. They
are longer and look cooler, but have (in my experience) less grip than the
other tracks.

That's what I found too (http://philohome.com/traction/traction.htm). But the
traction is much better than with Technic Link Tread
(http://peeron.com/inv/parts/3873)!

Philo

In my experience, there are several criteria regarding good vs. bad traction
with these tracks.  If you have a creation that needs to use the tracks to
operate separately to steer, the friction sideways must also be addressed.
There needs to be less friction sideways than front-to-back.  The thing about
technic bulldozer/chain links is that although they are better for steering
(have less friction sideways), they also exert less friction front to back
(which is needed for forward traction).  Rubber tracks have a high amount of
traction for both directions- which is good for forward traction but not for
side traction.

Another criteria to be addressed is the ability to rotate the tracks with a Lego
gear vs. a wheel rim.  Lego bulldozer links provide a perfect grip to Lego
gears.  Rubber tracks have to be interfaced with wheel rims, which don't have
very much grip on the inside of the tracks.

Which ever one you use depends on what criteria you want to meet.  Price is also
a legitimate criteria!

:-)