 Technic / 13960
Re: LR-11200 Completed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:01:56 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Bob Kojima wrote:
just amazing!  i'm very impressed with the height.

few questions:

are your sheaves drilled?  (did you drill the cross axle out so they spin
freely?)

what type of string are you using?

what are the flat long support guide lines made of that are barely seen in
this photo: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1153348  they
look very nice.  where can i get some?

how much counter weight?

can't wait to see your next crane.

bob

Bob,

Thanks for the comliments!

Here are the answers to your questions:

Yes, the holes have been drilled.  Without doing this, there is too much
friction for the crane to operate properly.

The thin black pieces are made of Aluminum.  They offer no additional structural
support to the boom itself, so I had no problem using non-lego parts there.  I
made these pieces myself.  I have access to a computer controlled router table
where I work, so I used it to design and cut those pieces.  I made them in
varying lengths from 2" to 20" so that I could use them with the different boom
configurations that are possible with this model.  They have a hole drilled in
them that is exactly the same size as a technic brick, so I use a short
connector piece along with an 2 long axle to pin them toghether, which can be
seen in the following picture:

http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1045408

If you need some of these pieces, email me and we can work something out.

As for the counterweight, each of the individual boxes seen in this picture:

http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1153573

contains about three pounds of lead.  The acutal crane carries about 18 pounds,
and the counterweight dolly holds another 40 to 50 depending on the
configuration.  I have a total of 75 lbs of counterweight.

I hope this answered all of your questions.

--Alvin