 Technic / 13614
Re: Pneumatic switching circuits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 02:44:02 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Joseph Greene wrote:
Ok, I've look through mr Clagues site and I undertand the basics. But I have a
problem in trying to design my pneumatic/switch circuit for this big nasty
walker of mine:

So fist a legend:
_ = Extended
~ = retracted
/ = transition - retracting
\ = transition - extending
Each `Leg' is actually a set of legs
Leg A Up/Down Cylinder = UDA
Leg A Fore/Back Cylinder = FBA
Leg B Up/Down Cylinder = UDB
Leg B Fore/Back Cylinder = FBB
Here's what I want to see:

UDA /~\___
FBA ~\__/~
UDB ___/~\
FBB ~\__/~

Note: Positioning of cylinders on Leg A
Forward Movment = Extending
Backward Movement = Retracting
Leg B is the rever Forward Movement is retracting.

so here is the problem
UDB Extension has to switch pressure to UDA Retract Port. no sweat..
But After the FB Transition UDA has to Extend (While UDB is still extended )
BEFORE UDB Retracts

So I think I have a way to do this..but I'm running into walls...

I understand the above very well, but I do not understand the stuff below.

  ->---0----
       \ \
       SW SW

   ->---0---
        | \
       SW SW

    ->---0---
        / \
       SW SW
      ->---0---
        /  |
       SW SW

       ->---0---
        /  /
       SW SW

and the revers would flip the switches in reverse order!

Cool.. Anyone done this? Any ideas The mechanics of it are killing me.. and some
of my LEGO.. I already busted 1 axle pin...

there are alternatives.. but this one would look the smoothest.. in my opinion..
There is of course the old - Break out the RCX and code it answer.. which is a
possibility.. but I'm trying to do it all Pneumatic/Mechanical...

I admire you doing it all pneumatically.

I ended up having to have two pistons that were purely timing switches.  There
were races in the circuit where things didn't stay pressured when needed, so the
two extra pistons/switches were race killers.  I've used this circuit for
quad242, its succesor, and hex363, and phd.

Kevin