 Technic / 13347
  Re: Pneumatic Arm

(...) <snip for bandwidth> (...) My answers to Technic Towers O' Power and Orthogonal Bracing: Method 1- Axles, Axle Connectors and Studless: 1 square segment = 4x Constructed as follows Verticals using Axle Connector #2 Alternating 90 degrees with (...) (20 years ago, 15-Dec-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatic Arm

(...) That construction would be fine if the "beams" are always in compression, but because the diagonals all slope the same way in each section, it would be prone to twisting failure if you're not careful. ROSCO (20 years ago, 15-Dec-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatic Arm

(...) Actually the only problem I encountered was a slight twist weakness in the very top and very bottom segments and the physical stress limits (vertically) of the Axles... I didn't actually reinforce it with beams at all.. looked awesome and (...) (20 years ago, 15-Dec-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatic Arm

(...) Yes it is surprisingly sturdy - I even built one with just #12 axles and no diagonal bracing, and it worked very well. But they allowed significant twisting, it wasn't enough to make them fail but I wouldn't like to push it. (URL) (20 years ago, 16-Dec-04, to lugnet.technic)