 Technic / 13342
Re: Pneumatic cylinder rust.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 03:29:53 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Nathan Bell wrote:
Is there a way to preserve lego pneumatic piston rods?  I have 30 pistons and
many of the rods have gone from silver to dark gray.  Is there a special oil or
grease that would remedy this?  I know it would probably take 15 or 20 years for
them to rust, but I would like to keep them for a while.  I'm thinking of
getting a glass display case to display my construction site in that is
air-tight.  Do any of you pneumatic builders have this same problem with your
pistons?

I found Autosol metal polish paste,  when buffed on, make them quite shiny. (I
have not tried this on lego pneumatics yet,  But doubt there will be a probelm)
I claims to prevent rust and tarnish, and all the items I polished have not
corroded yet (Including a Hydralic breather cover on a backhoe we use.)  My
favorite way of application is spinning the object in a lathe while using a rag
to rub it on.  A dremel buffing tool can also apply it as well. wash whats left
of the paste off,  lube it,  and reassemble!