 Technic / 13116
Re: Truck Drivetrains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:38:48 GMT

"Max Maxwell" <r33_v@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:I45xDK.1Hpo@lugnet.com...
Hi all, I am just starting on a large truck that will serve as a base for • a
crane arm. Anyway, I'm not too sure about what kind of drivetrain setup • would
offer the best combination of traction and a small turning radius. I want • it to
have 3 axles with 2 of the axles (the front and rear) both driven and • steered
using 8466 parts, but I know the steering angle is limited with the 8466 • hubs.
So I want to know if the above idea is best, or if there is something • better out
there.

If there is no way to increase the steering angle of these parts, all is not
lost. If, for example, the rear and centre axle are closer together than the
front and centre axle (quite a common layout), then the rear axle does not
need to steer as much as the front. So it may be possible to get away with
using the drive/steer parts from 8466 for the rear axle. You might have to
leave the front axle undriven though.

Another good option for all wheel drive is to have the vehicle steered by
bending in the middle of the chassis, rather than the wheels themselves
turning. Quite a few official Lego models have this setup.

Whatever approach you take, unless your model is large scale, I suspect
you'll find that getting a robust drive/steer setup will be difficult. The
problem is that the differential and CV or UV joints take up a certain width
that you really cannot reduce past a certain point. And that point is quite
wide.

Jennifer