 Technic / 12923
12922  |  12924
Subject:
Crane designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 22:49:34 GMT

Like many of y'all, I am a crane fanatic. I even have a book called "Mobile
Cranes," by James Headley (it's pretty much a manual on how to work with
cranes).
Ever since I saw my first Demag AC 500 (pdf format), I wondered if anyone had
ever taken it upon themselves to build such a behemoth. I searched and searched
the 'net for 3 years (from 1999-2002) when I saw something that startled me.
Apparently someone had started building that model, and his name was Beat
Felber. He had his pics posted on a lego club site and every time I went to that
site it was to view this one crane. Everything he designed on the truck gave it
that authentic look. The X-outriggers, the special steering (I don't know if
it's Ackerman or not, someone please correct me), and the engine (I think he
built a mini-DC OM502 LA V8). ANyway, seeing this inspired me.
When I got MLCAD I began to design my own. But now I am going to try and take it
one step further. I am going to try and build a fully automatic Allison
Transmission for my AC 500 (which currently is nothing more than a skeletal
chassis right now with 16 of the 24x43 wheels/tires attached). I will try to
post pics on it as soon as possible.