 Technic / 12915
Re: pneumatic trouble
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:15:55 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, Vineet Honkan wrote:
Kevin-

I am trying to build a heavy duty automatic truck transmission, and I have a few
questions concerning pneumatics.

1) I did a few rough sketches of what the transmission would look like (the main
part of it is the valve, which I originally planned to use as the transmission
lever), but I came across a problem; the valve is a three-type shift,
on-off-reverse, in that order. In my sketch, I am trying to figure out how to
set up the valve so that it can go P R N D. Do you have any ideas that could
help me? Thanks.

Hi Vineet,

  I reduced this purely technic pneumatic question distribution down to just
lugnet.technic, because I cannot see how this is at all related to
lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab.  In the future, I'd ask that you be more careful
about which newsgroups to which you post.

  OK, so you have a three state valve, and a four state transmission, right?
Your description is pretty vague, but I'll give it a try....

               +--+
               |  +---  Park
            +--+2 |
      +--+  |  |  +---  Neutral
  ----+1 |
      |  +--+  +--+
            +--+3 |
               |  +---  Reverse
               +--+

Switch 1 picks between Park/Neutral and Forward/Reverse.  I chose these pairings
because Forward and Reverse actually engage the engine to the drive train.  Park
and Reverse do not.

Switch 2 picks between Park and Neutral.

Switch 3 picks between Forward and Reverse.

Does this help?

Kevin