 Technic / 12834
Re: BrickFest is coming, and so are the robots!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:22:24 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Christina Hitchcock wrote:

The challenges are laid out for you and if you have any questions there are
tones of friendly people on the lugnet.technic and lugnet.robotics list that
will help you out.

also, I think it is about time Steve Hassenplug is properly challenged. He has
won way to many of the past compititions....

The reason behind that is pretty simple.  It's because I've entered many of the
challenges.  I've seen what other people out there can do, and I'm just lucky
they haven't been entering.

I was just looking over the rules, and (as usual) John's done a great job of
setting up events.  There's really something for everyone.

For people like Christina, who have very little experience building robots, the
sumo event is a great place to start.  Can you build a robot that goes forward,
until it sees a line, then backs up, turns, and starts again?  The same robot
will work in the Sumo Chaser event.

For more of a building challenge, the King of the Hill will be a difficult
event.

If you don't have a Mindstorms set, or don't wish to use it, the Ocean Crossing
event actually does not require the use of a processor.  It could easily be done
with just one motor.  In fact, I'd love to see a pneumatic walker try to make
the crossing...

While the Mindstorms events are always entertaining and fun, I've never made fun
of anyone for building a bad robot.  Well, except the rtl guys.  But they claim
to be experts.  Even if you do build a robot that's a total failure, there will
be people cheering for it.  In fact, sometimes, those are the most fun to watch,
because no one knows what it's going to do!

Check it out...

Steve

So surf on over to http://dc.brickfest.com/contests.php#mind to read about the
challenges and get building!

Christina

... and there are competitions to be entered and won!

Check out the Events at www.brickfest.com

http://dc.brickfest.com/events.php

There's a link via Mindstorms Competitions to the event descriptions and from
there to the rules pages.

http://dc.brickfest.com/contests.php#mind

So read them and start building!

... there are prizes to be won!