 Technic / 12741
Re: SSClagorpion - Compressor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 2004 01:57:31 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:

Thanks for the ideas. I’ll consider the planar design concept (done them before with large pumps), but first I want to try radial. I’m curious which design would have less moving parts? Less moving parts, less friction, higher efficiency.

From what I’ve been told of mechanical physics, part distortion is also a concern. There’s a tradeoff between making the pump design sturdier and keeping the overall weight/size down. Flat component pumps can be squeezed into available empty space rather than requiring that the frame be expanded if you need to add more. Heck, you might even find that it works best to run rotaries for your primary air supply and supplement them with a few sets of flat pumps as needed.

I’d prefer a design where the pump is sandwiched between two support halves, so that it is harder for the pumps to distort the support structure.

It was merely a quickie build to show a design concept. I would be embarassed for you if you used it exactly as shown because I’ve already figured out quite a few potential improvements without really even trying. :)

   In your design, only one endpoint of the supporting pin is fixed to the structure. This means the pump could force the pin to twist in place, and have its shape distorted. Using a long frictionless pin and two 24T gears would reduce the ability of the pump to distort the pin.

So frame them in on both sides. You’ve got 24 positions available just through the gearing, so you don’t need the big sheaves for phase-adjustment. Switch over to 1x2 flat liftarms to save weight. That still gives you four available positions per bank, you can run a bank on each side of the main drive shaft, and you should be able to get at least 2-3 banks stretched out over the entire length of the main torso if you strap them to the belly (it would actually even be anatomically appropriate for all of the “breathing” to be done there). A fully-framed side-mounted 4-pump bank could be 1” tall x 2.5” wide x 6” long if you frame between each individual pump, or 1” tall x 2.5” wide x 4.75” long if you frame them in pairs on either side of the gear. If you run the drive system above banks running opposing pumps, you can make a 4-pump bank 1” tall x 4” wide x 3.75” long. Going that route, if your frame is at least 8” wide and 11-1/4” long (and from what I’ve seen so far it should be at least that large), you could fit 6 4-pump banks on the belly alone.

Anyways, it’s just an idea. If you decide to experiment with it and want any clarification of the modified versions I’ve mentioned, LMK. For now, I’m eagerly awaiting this rotary pump system you’re working on.