 Technic / 12729
Re: SSClagorpion - Compressor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 20:39:12 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Benton Jackson wrote:
Are you going to make sure that all your control logic is done with small
pistons? That would seem to save a lot of air, and thus perhaps also speed the
system up quite a bit.

Hi Benton,
  In my experience small pistons do not control switches very well.  They only
produce 1/4 the force a large piston does.

  I've made one small piston walker http://www.kclague.net/pedmatic/index.htm .
It uses two pistons per switch, and the switches were chosen specifically
because they were worn enough to flip easily.

  I've tried to run new 2003 pneumatic switches using small pistons, and they
didn't have the power needed.

  To make something like quad242, I'd need four switches and 8 pistons per leg.
For a four legged walker, you are talking 32 small pistons.  Pretty pricey given
that small pistons cost about the same as large pistons (or more even).

  I bought a bunch of small pump/small pistons/short hoses packages from DACTA,
but not enough to make quad242.  Maybe I just need to get more.

  If I have 20 small pistons (I think I do), then I could make a 6 segment
inchworm, seperated by five sets of four pistons.  That would be cool to see
inchworm go fast.

  Needless to day, SSClagorpion would need *a lot* more small pistons than I
have.

Kevin