 Technic / 12722
Re: SSClagorpion - Compressor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 22:07:35 GMT

I finally had some LEGO time.  Given the rate that RC Racer motors suck up
current, Using two pumps with two motors and two battery packs, is about the
best I can do.

I did some measuring and calculating (only outer diameters :^(

A large piston has about 6 times the volume of a small piston.  To make a a
single small pump compete, you would have to turn it over six times as fast as a
large pump.  Using six pumps, you could get six small pumps compressing in the
time it takes to make one large pump compress, but if you did them
simultaneously, they would provide *more* surface area than the single large
pump.  More surface area at the same pressure means more resitance.

The area of a large piston face is about four times the area of the small
piston, so six small piston are is larger than a large piston.  But......
assuming you spread the small pumps evenly through a single rotation, then only
half the pumps are compressing at a time.  Also only one of the pistons is
reaching maximum compression at a time (and at 1/4 of the surface aree of the
large piston).

Also, as David pointed out, the three compressing pumps have three times the
number of ports, so they have three times the bandwidth.

I'm off to make six or twelve small pump compressor and see how it compares.
Good thing I've got that many small pumps.

Kevin