 Technic / 12679
Re: SSClagorpion - Compressor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 22 May 2004 23:58:20 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mark Bellis wrote:
You can minimise 1. by using flex tubing for the straight tubes and pneumatic
tubing only for the curved tubes and in places where flexibility is
necessary. This will reduce the balloon effect and increase efficiency.
Test this with a 5m long pneumatic tube between the cylinder and compressor -
see how much longer it takes to get up to pressure than with a 5cm tube!

Lessee, 5m tube vs. 5cm (or .05m) tube...I'd guess something approaching 100x as
long?  :)  I'm guessing you meant to type something a little different there...

Anyways, by my eye, the flex-system tube OD is roughly the same as the OD of the
pneumatic nipples.  I'd be worried about how painful (both physically and
mentally) it might be to attach all of those hoses and how easily they might
split under pressure.  I just tried to attach one and I couldn't even get it
started, so I'm very curious how you go about doing it.  Do you use a short stub
of pneumatic tubing as a sleeve coupler, or have you actually managed to cram
one of those things onto a pneumatic nipple?