 Technic / 12564
Re: SSClagorpion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 13:08:19 GMT

In lugnet.technic, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
Here's a quick example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/Robots/SSClagorpion/leglock1.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/Robots/SSClagorpion/leglock2.jpg

Looks like it will work.

It might not work quite as well as you seem to think.  Locking mechanisms of the
sort that you're considering have a little "pop" because they don't lock at
their point of greatest extension.

I thought about this.  The two pieces that "lock" don't need to go beyond their
point of greatest extension.  The reason for going beyond the PoGE is to lock,
so nothing else is required to hold it in place.

However the pneumatic piston will be holding it in place (keeping it locked).
As long as the braces are in line, there is very little force on the piston.

Also, I'm pretty sure, as you said, the piston has the most leverage on the
braces (and the whole leg assembly) when it's close to locking.  So if it does
have to lift any weight, because of flex in the other legs, that's the best
time.

The joint will be weakest when the leg is at it's highest point off the ground,
but there, it's only lifting the weight of the leg.

This is easy to see with the assembly I made, because the legs travel very
little distance, as the piston approaches the bottom of it's throw, but they
move a great deal when it's at the top (extended, in the picture).

Thanks for helping think this through.
Steve