 Technic / 12446
Re: SSClagorpion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:00:17 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

<snip>

If I understand this correctly, when he puts his other four feet down, and
senses one foot is off the table, he must continue walking forward, raising four
feet from the table, and leaving him standing on three feet, including NO front
feet.

That makes me think we'll have to consider weight distribution, and how it will
balance on three feet.

You are right, he needs to balance on the three feet that are further back, but
it will not have to walk forward.  It can walk backwards.

Well, it will walk forward enough to lift the other four feet off the ground,
before it starts backward, again.

Nope.  The sequence is:

1.  All feet down.
2.  Lift one foot group
3.  Sweep legs
4.  put feet down
5.  Lift other foot group
6.  Sweep legs

So it does not need to walk forward to lift the feet.

I'm going to have to look at the walking logic more to understand why it can't
start walking backward, while all the feet are on the ground.

The description is here:

http://www.kclague.net/Quad242/quad242-design.jpg

Piston A is a timing only piston (i.e. it is not part of any leg assembly).

A' and A'' are weight bearing leg pistons that simply mimic A.

Piston B is a timing only piston.

B' and B'' are weight bearing leg pistons that simply mimic B.

C,D,E, and F are hip pistons that force the legs to sweep.

A' is paired with C
A'' is paired with D
B' is paired with E
B'' is paired with F

A contract = B' & B'' & ~C & ~D & E & F
A expand = C & D & ~E & ~F

A' = A
A'' = A

B contract = A' & A'' & C & D & ~E & ~F
B expand = C & D & ~E & ~F

B' = B
B'' = B

C expand = D expand = E contract = F contract =
  A' & A''

C contract = D contract = E expand = F expand =
  B' & B''

To flip from forward to reverse involves swapping the inputs to C, and the
outputs from F.

The feet go to the ground at synhronization points 0 and 3.  Those depend on B',
B'' and A', A'' respectfully.  Throwing it into reverse at this time would try
to make the feet sweep while the feet are on the ground.

At synchronization points S1 and S4, two of the four feet are on the ground, and
C, D, E, and F will be trying to change, so this is the fine time to flip it
from forward to reverse or visa versa.

At syncrhonization points S2 and S5, you are depending on the fact that C, D, E
and F have stabilized to expand A or B respectively.  Now is not a great time to
reverse polarities because you have a potential race between polarity reversal
and A or B completing expansion, so the results are hit or miss.

So, we'll need to make sure the center of gravity is closer to the third set of
legs, and it CAN'T be in front of the second set.

I hope Eric's listening.  :)

Is he back yet?

Steve

Kevin