 Technic / 12289
  Re: pneumatic cylinder: why not hydraulic ??

(...) I can think of a few concerns that would need to be answered before using a pneumatic cylinder as a hydrolic cylinder: 1. will the seals work properly I'd be concerned that the lubricant would get washed away by water, so the only way to (...) (20 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: pneumatic cylinder: why not hydraulic ??

purpledave@maskofdestiny.com (Purple Dave) wrote in <HvrHn0.Cpw@lugnet.com>: (...) I'd add 7. if you used hydraulics, a cylinder would extend or retract fully with one stroke of the pump. The resistance the cylinder encounters is transmitted to the (...) (20 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: pneumatic cylinder: why not hydraulic ??

(...) Not necessarily. Assuming both cylinders are the same size, a full pump cylinder stroke will only result in a full working cylinder stroke if the working cylinder doesn't have significantly more resistance than the pump cylinder. If the (...) (20 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: pneumatic cylinder: why not hydraulic ??

purpledave@maskofdestiny.com (Purple Dave) wrote in <Hvtrvs.sBv@lugnet.com>: (...) And where would you leave all that fluid? Fluids aren't compressible (yeah, they are, but so much less than air that I'm close enough for government work). (20 years ago, 8-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: pneumatic cylinder: why not hydraulic ??

(...) It is my understanding that fliuds cannot be compressed. So a cylinder hooked to another cylinder with fluid in between (assuming no leaks), would always provide 1 to 1 movement. I'm not an expert in hydraulics, but I think your claim above (...) (20 years ago, 8-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: pneumatic cylinder: why not hydraulic ??

(...) The amount that a fluid can be compressed varies with the fluid, the temperature, the pressure and other things. Water can be compressed too much - that's why trucks don't use it for their hydraulic systems. Hydraulic fluid is special oil that (...) (20 years ago, 8-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic)