 Technic / 12113
12112  |  12114
Subject:
Elevator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:44:31 GMT

Hi to all!

As an experiment in various subjects at the same time, I decided to announce
my elevator here.
Being an extremely practicle person, I always go for functionality, not for
beauty, so I never published any MOC. I'm normally more interested in 'how
things work' than in 'how things look'.
So, some time ago I started thinking how to build a working elevator with
Lego. The second version is still not perfect, but 'ok' enough to show to
the world.
But from one thing came another: I don't have a digital camera to make nice
pictures, so I copied the model in MLCad and started experimenting with
POV-Ray. Then I registered at Brickshelf to put the results online.

The folder (awaiting review) will be at:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/niels-horn/Elevator/

In the mean time:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/niels-horn/Elevator/elevator_cabin.png
showing the cabin of the elevator
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/niels-horn/Elevator/elevator_cabin_side.png
side-view of cabin
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/niels-horn/Elevator/elevator_front.png
Complete elevator
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/niels-horn/Elevator/elevator_2ndfloor.png
Elevator at 2nd floor
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/niels-horn/Elevator/elevator_left.png
showing the mechanism that guides the cabin in the shaft (*)
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/niels-horn/Elevator/elevator_top.png
The motor that pulls up the cabin (**)
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/niels-horn/Elevator/elevator_cabin.ldr
The LDraw file for the cabin
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/niels-horn/Elevator/elevator.ldr
The LDraw file for the elevator, using the cabin

(*) This construction with the wheels and the Technic bricks works really
well. The cabin is hanging from the wire, being guided by the vertical
bricks and the wheels on the cabin.
(**) there is a wire (not shown in the POV-ray images) running through the
center hole of the 2x6 Technic plate, over the Technic bush to the
axle-joiner. The Z24 gear is there to hold this wire in place.

I'm still working on putting my RCX to work, with some switches for the
elevator to stop at the correct height. For now I'm using the console of the
("programmable") Control Center (#8485)

Let me know what you think, but don't forget I'm completely new at POV-Ray,
Brickshelf and publishing MOCs...

Greetings,

Niels
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil