 Technic / 11916
Re: HELLO?!, LEGO CO. ! was: Will the educational arm of Technic & Mindstorms continue?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:44:38 GMT

I wrote Michael Anderson (firmware guru at TLC) expressing my concerns about the
future of Mindstorms based on the recent press regarding TLC's financial woes.
I asked him if he could reassure me.

He said, "there are some very interesting projects in the pipeline,
including some exciting ideas involving RCX'es and MINDSTORMS."  He also said,
"don't worry about MINDSTORMS or the RCX going away and start
saving money for something completely new and wonderful."

I'm not completely sure whether the "don't" is meant to apply to both "worry"
and "start" or just "worry". :-)  I believe he means that something worth saving
money for is coming down the pike.

Unfortunately, in spite of the two previous comments he was not entirely
reassuring.

He also said that he was one of 256 people laid off at the end of last year.
That doesn't make me feel very confident about the future of Mindstorms.
Finally, he mentioned that Mindstorms could become mostly an educational or
competition (FLL) product.

I'd like Jake or Brad to tell me whether I should abandon BricxCC and NQC or
whether there is still a future for LEGO programmable bricks.

Thanks,

John Hansen